Re: Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Article On Anti-Spam Technologies Mentions SPF

2004-11-16 09:27:01
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 10:46:37AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:

The want open relays ?!?!?

Not necessarily.  They want 3rd party mailers to work.  They can do that by
using a return-path: local to the 3rd party server and a user provided
from:.  Their point is political, not technicl.

quote:
"
  In addition, some sites are added to a block list because of the
  procedures followed by the operators of the email servers at the
  site; for example, email servers that are configured as open relays
  (meaning anyone can use them to send email to anyone).
  The justification for this is that spammers use such servers to hide
  their identities, despite the fact that open relays have legitimate
  non-spam uses.
"

I'll repeat (correcting my zpeling error): They want open relays.

Effectively they are saying I should not block an open relay just
because maybe 0.0000000001% of its trash might be coming from them.
That is supportive of open relays and it is not going to happen.

I say: They got it all wrong.  They should move their list to another
server, provider or even another /8.  If they really care, they should
find a provider that really cares.

As primarily a political organization, I'm not surprised they don't know
this.  We should tell them.

As primarily a political organization, there are better ways to indicate
that they don't fully grasp the matter.  Quoting RFC2821 does not help
to tell that they are, in fact, a political organization.

And about "we should tell them": Most greeting card sites and the like
get told to stop spoofing addresses.  Over and over again.  They just
won't listen and now they start whining because their important stuff
isn't delivered.  Replace "greeting card" by any "noncommercial email list"

I tried to communicate with the police department about failed email.
Personal information ("critical information") about a crime was
double-bounced to me.  THEY DON'T LISTEN.  They just don't care
or so it seems.

I didn't judge them by the same standards as I would a technical
organization.

No offence, but are you by any chance related to that organization?

Wait: Don't answer that.  This is getting way off topic now.

Alex