Re: [IETF] Allocation of the new RR type for SPF

2004-11-23 15:42:21
Greg Connor wrote:

just about any draft can probably be used to represent SPF in
front of namedroppers.  The differences seem to be minor.

They have weapons of MASS destruction, and they have Dean as
special agent.  They'll be happy to restart every flamewar of
the past twenty years if you only offer an excuse to do it.

[ "namedroppers" is a fairy tale for me, it can't be true,
  but with so much smoke there could be some kind of fire. ]

Perhaps we can pick a draft that came out about the time some
of the widely used SPF implementations also came out?

Throw away all the good work of Mark and Wayne ?  Old drafts
don't even have a SPF RR, but all bugs and typos fixed in the
later drafts.

"SPF RR type can be used when it becomes available".

Yes, that could be in a note for the RfC editor, something to
be removed before publishing the RfC when the RR is assigned.

When a better record type is available we can move to it.

And when Microsoft etc. updated their DNS API, that will need
some time.  Plus most DNS providers allowing to publish it for
the masses.

Nobody can accurately predict when that will be

ACK, it's a long shot.  Convincing the "namedroppers" that we
care about DNS is now (T-8 days without a tie in the election)

                       Bye, Frank