RE: Re[2]: OT: education needed

2004-11-30 18:16:34
On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 16:44 -0800, Greg Connor wrote:
I would actually go one step further and say that you don't really have to
accept mail for ip literals like @[123.4.5.6].  If there is a requirement to
accept such mail I don't think I have seen it.

Nothing more than §4.5.1 of RFC2821, which says "SMTP systems are
expected to make every reasonable effort to accept mail directed to
Postmaster from any other system on the Internet."

Since it's trivial for me to accept mail to postmaster@ IP literals I
choose to do so. If people have cause to enquire about a specific mail
server of mine they may want to use that address. They may not be able
to just connect directly to its port 25 and issue RCPT TO:<postmaster>;
they may be behind a firewall which blocks direct access to port 25 and
forces them to use a smarthost.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest that you MUST do so, but I'd certainly
suggest that you read §4.5.1 and §4.1.3 carefully before deciding not
to.

--
dwmw2