Re: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-26 15:18:28

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:44 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

Having said that, I should reevaluate your posts with the assumption that
you are actually talking about a senderID alternative, rather than
an SPF alternative.  You might have some great ideas that would do
an end run around Microsoft.  To an end-user, rfc2822 headers are
much more visible, and where the user needs the most help in
recognizing "phishing" attacks.  I say, I *should* reevaluate your
posts, however, I'm not really up to speed on 2822 authentication, having been
concentrating on the 2821 end of things.

In particular, senderID doesn't address forwarders very well, and it
sounds like you've given it some thought.  You may be on to something.

SenderID does address forwarders, if the header is untouched enough for that XML-laden piecd of computational dross to be parsed by the recipient and accepted as non-spam.

But SenderID is completely vulnerable to the client machine being zombi-laden, and if SPF clients accept it to over-rule the policy of the SPF domain owner, it will *OF COURSE* form a conduit for spam. In fact, since any spamming schmuck can and will buy SenderID keys, it can and should be considered as a blatant flag that the traffic is in fact spam, much as those little header haiku keys were very quickly shown as a popular flag that the content was, in fact, spam.

And remember, Microsoft collects money for each client key. Their business plan for selling the keys is its use for "business mail", people who will bother to buy the keys and use it for their commercial bulk mail. For most of us, such traffic such traffic is also spam in the sense of "unsolicited bulk communications", though not in the sense of "forged stuff from illegitimate companies" that much effort and legislation such as the CAN-SPAM act is aimed at..

Eventually, if it were to be endemic to every client *AND* every client bought keys *AND* Microsoft were to very tightly manage the keys so that any zombied machine or spam account is instantly cut off, Sender-ID might be useful. But that's far too many steps of both software and legal change in the handling of the keys and the email clients, and it's not reasonable to expect it to ever be effective enough to be really useful against the zombied and spam-front-company-purchased Sender-ID provisioned spam senders. They will certainly grow to fill any temporary reduction of spam caused by the growth of Sender-ID.

Clean SPF is useful to make spam identifiable at the sender, to reduce the zombie spam, and to reduce the email worm attacks so common from those same Microsoft-burdened email clients.