Re: spf

2005-04-14 12:49:48
That still doesn't help since our (the college's) users are not
connecting to our smtp agent.  They are connecting to the ISPs smtp
agent to send mail with their college accountsl.  Using smtp auth still
would not send it back to our smtp agent.  In fact, wouldn't this make
thigs worse.  The ISPs smtp agent would reject the mail because the user
does not exist on that mail server.  Please correct me if I am
understanding smtp_auth incorrectly.

The same would apply to pop before smtp.  The college's users are
connecting to the college's smtp agent to pop mail and then connecting
to the ISPs smtp server to send mail.

terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com 4/14/2005 1:05:28 PM >>>
All kinds of servers that don't (or cannot) implement SMTP AUTH aka
SASL
on port 587 can use "pop before SMTP" whereby the SMTP daemon basically

looks at the logs for the pop daemon, and if said connecting IP
successfully authenticated with POP just recently then it is safe to
say
that IP is authorized to use (and hence relay through) the mail
server.

This (generally) requires your inbound and outbound mail servers to be

the same server.

Terry