Re: Re: HELO versus MAILFROM results

2005-05-05 17:24:16
I wrote earlier:
I think what you intend is the following:

gardener.com = v=spf1 +all

In fact, gardener.com should publish (the IP4: equivalent of)

"v=spf1 a:out45.us4.outblaze.com"

That's it. No ending "all".

This tells the world that it's not known if the "gardener.com" email they just received is real or not. So anyone receiving mail from Rose(_at_)gardener(_dot_)com will get NEUTRAL.

But it tells the domain whose user receives the Rose(_at_)gardener(_dot_)com (comcast, in my example) that mail to ab299321(_at_)chicago(_dot_)comcast(_dot_)com that comes from gardener.com for sure (PASS). And it does this service to all the other users who use the forwarding through gardener.com, too (of course). That's brownie points for gardener.com :)

This setup reflects well the fact that the desire of ab299321(_at_)chicago(_dot_)comcast(_dot_)com to receive ALL the mail via Rose(_at_)gardener(_dot_)com is much higher than his/her desire to guarantee that his own mail is delivered elsewhere. Also, one of these two direction he can control (incoming), but not the other. Also, he knows that delivery of his mail sent as Rose is not guaranteed to be delivered. Mail.com tells him so, based on the fact that an SPF record that ends with -all cannot be published at gardener.com

These are subtle details, but I think extremely important to think about them with respect to forwarders, since forwarders are SPF's weakest point.

I think trying to strengthen the weakest point is better than ignoring it.

Hence my forwardmaster idea, which allows individual users to tell their postmaster what forwarded email they would like to except from SPF scrutiny (ie, permit incoming mail via gardener.com to be treated as PASS instead of FAIL). Of course the forwardmaster would know that mail via gardener.com that resolves with NEUTRAL is not mail via gardener.com.

Maybe I'll draw a picture if some people would find it difficult to understand what I'm saying, but would like to :)

Sorry about diverting back to forwardmaster, but the issue of HELO checking and forwarders are related a little bit.

To tie in the %{l} bone I'm picking:

It would not help for the gardener.com to publish:

"v=spf1 a:out45.us4.outblaze.com %{l}.gardener.com -all"

and then allow all its users to specify their own sources, because one bad apple would spoil the reputation of the entire gardener.com domain.

Already other receiving domains treat mail from gardener.com as NEUTRAL (ie, high spam score). Allowing the domain to have a bad reputation would be equivalent to making the domain name useless for email.

Daniel Taylor wrote:
The question remains.... what should out45.us4.outblaze.com publish
as a TXT record, and how will this work when the user at comcast
gets mail from Rose and from the Lawyer?

That TXT record will be fetched when comcast checks the HELO with
SPF.

What flavor is the sky?

The domain for the From: is irrelevant to checking HELO or MAIL FROM.
 In fact, the domain for MAIL FROM is irrelevant to the SPF check for
HELO, since HELO is only checked for MAIL FROM <>.

Well... that's not what Wayne's draft says. There's no mention of the HELO check being conditional.

In fact, it vaguely alludes to the opposite (MAIL-FROM check after HELO check)

SPF clients MUST check the "MAIL FROM" identity unless HELO testing
produced a "Fail". SPF clients check the "MAIL FROM" identity by
applying the check_host() function to the "MAIL FROM" identity as the
<sender>.

but speaking of the order ... what's the problem with checking MAIL-FROM first, and then HELO (if necessary)? I think both orders are equivalent, unless one is conditional on the other.

Which also begs the question... What would it mean if MAIL-FROM gives PASS, but HELO gives FAIL, or PermError or TempError?

Ok... I'm done unifying theories for today. Thank you for putting up with it. :)

Radu.