Re: Problem with SID

2005-06-22 20:39:03
Dick St.Peters wrote:

Trying one more time to explain what the problem actually is, we begin

with JaneDoe(_at_)aol(_dot_)com sending mail to an address in domain example.com
for which I do email processing.  Whether I do any SPF checking is
irrelevant to the forwarding problem.  (I do SPF checking, SID/PRA
checking, and DomainKeys verification, but none of that matters.)

What do matter are that I receive the mail for example.com and that my
user wants it relayed to his account at BigIsp.com.  This has always
been easy, and I do it for a bunch of domains.

When BigIsp.com turns on SPF checking, the mail I'm trying to relay to
my user at BigIsp.com is seen by BigIsp.com as mail with an @aol.com
MAILFROM coming from my server.  SPF rejects the mail that my user has
paid me to relay and has paid BigIsp.com to receive.
You are causing the problem, not SPF or BigIsp.com. As a forwarder, you need to take responsibility for the mail you send and make BigIsp.com check your SPF record. You have several options: get BigIsp.com (and all the other destinations) to whitelist your servers (a la trusted-forwarder.org), use an address @example.com (such as postmaster), or better yet, use something like SRS. This has been hashed out many, many times on this list in the past. What's the big deal?

-=Jeremy