Re: DM News says: MSN requires Sender ID Authentication

2005-06-23 14:56:06
wayne wrote:

In <NGBBLEIJOEEEBMEIAPBKMEPDIFAA(_dot_)scott(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> Scott
Kitterman <spf2(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> writes:

According to this story, DM News is reporting that MSN requires Sender
ID Authentication:
http://www.marketingvox.com/archives/2005/06/22/msn_requires_sender
_id_authentication/
I tried it for Pass, Neutral and Fail scenarios.

Pass and Neutral said nothing about SenderID.

Fail said:

The sender of this message, spf2(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com, could not be
verified by
Sender ID. Learn more about Sender ID.

Intersting.

I've set up a test account, and sent email from
wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net(_dot_)

I received nothing.

My SPF records are:

schlitt.net. TXT "spf2.0/pra exists:_h.%{h}._l.%{l}._o.%{o}._i.%{i}._pra.%{d}
-all"
schlitt.net. TXT "v=spf1 exists:_h.%{h}._l.%{l}._o.%{o}._i.%{i}._spf.%{d} mx
a:footbone.%{d} ip4:67.51.52.32/29 -all"

Notice that I have "tracking exists:" on both kinds of SPF records.
After sending email to hotmail, I didn't get a trigger on either
tracking exists: and, get this, I didn't even get a DNS lookup on TXT
records.  Ok, I do have a secondary NS where the query could have gone
to, but the secondary tends to be much slower than my main NS.

So, is MS even following the spec?  Are they checking just some of the
email?

Wayne,

I had the same problem when I sent a few tests. I'll assume you sent the mail via "telnet" to port 25 (or something similar). You need to include at lease the following 2822 headers before hotmail will deliver the mail (they otherwise put it to /dev/null apparently): Date, Subject, From, and To.

And regarding my tests, they don't seem to do any checking on MAIL FROM (of course, they could be checking it somewhat to help decide whether to put it in "Junk" folder).

-=Jeremy