Re: Problem with SID

2005-06-24 07:31:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex van den Bogaerdt" <alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net>
Newsgroups: spf.-.sender.policy.framework.discussion
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 3:43 AM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Problem with SID

If I may try an attempt to summarize: the difference of opinion is this:

-a- SPF exposes an existing problem. It is not the SPF community's problem
vs
-b- SPF creates a new problem. The SPF community should come up with a fix
vs
-c- SPF exposes an existing problem and should come up with a fix

where I think it is -a- and you think it is -b-, right?

hmmmmmm??? Actually, I am closer to all of the above, but probably more to:

-D- SPF helps address a problem, but fixing the problem reveals new
potential operation problems or removes existing previous functionality
which SPF byself does not resolve and requires help from others.

Alex keep in mind I am a software developer. Although I help maintain our
support system, I am not an administrator or a ISP.  Thousands of systems
world wide use our stuff. I have to implement this stuff and you have to
look at the total picture, not just part of it.

The facts are these, in the mail network, you have various topologies:

In general, you have this:

        MUA -->  MSA ---> MTA ...... MTA ---> MDA

The shortest path are the various direct paths:

        MUA ---> MDA
        MUA ---> MSA
        MTA --> MTA
        MTA ---> MDA

Any other?

It is important to understand the meaning of the acroymns, but that as not
as important when you considering about a framework that worked in various
paths and you wish to stick something in there to address a particular
problem (spoofers).

When you do this, you need to make sure functionality is not lost unless
there is good reason to do so.  If exist making sure the functionality is
not lost includes new level of changes on other systems, then that is ok.
But you have to spell it out.

Anyway,  this thread is pretty much complete, is it?   Is it lunch yet?  :-)

http://www.santronics.com