Re: Forwading/Redirecting: The problem as I see it....

2005-07-06 07:30:40
Alex van den Bogaerdt writes:

mail_from names: stop using my name, use "your own" name
(maybe meaning: some special name at the forwarder, such
as "forwarded_by_user(_at_)example(_dot_)org")

This is what SRS does, meaning it's what I do now.  However, I don't
like it.  If you send mail to one of my users, the mail isn't from me
or my mail system.  It's from you, and saying it's from my mail system
to get it past SPF feels sleazy and underhanded.  The advice above
boils down to "Lie and say the mail is from the forwarding domain."

If the SMTP "mail from:" were "return path:" I'd feel better about
it, but of course that's never going to happen.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY