Re: Forwading/Redirecting: The problem as I see it....

2005-07-06 06:45:22
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:22:34PM +0100, Dan Field wrote:

I do see many arguments on this list and don't want to start one myself... I
do want to see a solution to forged e-mails as much as anyone.

The way I see it, SPF is only part of the solution and without the rest of
the solution... well its not much use.

Open relays used to have some real valuable use.  After being
abused too much and too long, they got closed.

Being able to use anybody's name from any server used to have
some real valuable use (forwarding!).  After being abused too
much and too long, this was made impossible (SPF).

There's no difference.  Yes, in both cases some people will
have to find a new way to do what they want.  So be it.

open relays:  stop using my relay, use "your own" relay
(often meaning: the provider's relay)

mail_from names: stop using my name, use "your own" name
(maybe meaning: some special name at the forwarder, such
as "forwarded_by_user(_at_)example(_dot_)org")

Yes, this will also mean a new learning curve, some errors,
some mistakes, some wrong assumptions.  The alternative is
to kill all spammers and virus coders. An attractive yet
unfeasible alternative.

Alex