Re: Forwading/Redirecting: The problem as I see it....

2005-07-06 07:37:50

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Dick St.Peters wrote:

This is what SRS does, meaning it's what I do now.  However, I don't
like it.  If you send mail to one of my users, the mail isn't from me
or my mail system.  It's from you, and saying it's from my mail system
to get it past SPF feels sleazy and underhanded  The advice above
boils down to "Lie and say the mail is from the forwarding domain."

If the SMTP "mail from:" were "return path:" I'd feel better about
it, but of course that's never going to happen.

It is a "return path", or at least it was 20 years ago and I think it
still is at the core. Just because the name is "MAIL FROM" does not
mean it should be taken same as "From" address (i.e. I would feel
bad about rewriting From too).

It boils down to if you're system is willing to take responsibility
for handling bounces and delivering them to correct original address.
If you want to take this upon you - go ahead and rewrite MAIL FROM.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks