Re: Explain please

2005-07-08 08:21:50

Michael Hammer wrote:
On 7/8/05, johnp <johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com> wrote:

That is like saying that we should allow people to drive without seatbelts
because they
have been doing so for many years. But the reality is that e-mail has shown
itself to have
several flaws, which now need to be resolved. Forwarding is one of them.

Actually John, that is exactly what the law says so I guess your
analogy isn't the best one. I drive a 1962 Fairlane and it does not
have seat belts. There are no laws in the U.S.A. (any of the states I
have driven in) that require me to retrofit seat belts nor am I
required to wear them. I have regular plates and registration.

Fair comment - different countries - different laws.

There are in fact two legal issues (Requirements) involved:

1) Is the vehicle in question required by law to have seat belts
(based on date of manufacture);
2) If the answer to 1 is yes then is the person legally required to
wear a seat belt?

Analogy to point 1. is that SPF will never be "law" - but a powerful de facto
standard

and analogy to point 2 is that you will not be "forced" to use SPF - but you will not improve your e-mail useability without it.

The seat belt analogy would best be used as an argument in favor of
gradual conversion of email systems and practice through obsolescence.

I'll live with that ;-)

Slainte,

JohnP