Re: Community Vote: Official Project Domains -- Results

2005-07-08 09:44:42
In <200506300246(_dot_)44620(_dot_)julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> Julian Mehnle
<julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

Dear council, dear community,

today at 00:00 UTC the first community vote of the SPF project, "Official
Project Domains", has ended.  These are the results:

  http://www5.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/andru/civs/results?id=E_4995a148aacc26c1

| 1. openspf, open-spf

fyi;

I've tried a couple of times to get a hold of James to talk about
having the SPF community have control over the openspf.org domain
name.  So far, I have not gotten any response back.

I think/hope the SPF council will have a meeting this weekend and one
of the things is to deal with the domain name.  We (the council) may
need to decide whether to just choose to use, say openspf.com or .net
as the official name, or to choose one of the runner ups, or to
continue to wait for James or something else.

The problems with spamcop.net vs spamcop.com has made me very
uncomfortable about not having a complete set.  Spamcop.net was the
original, but someone else snarfed up spamcop.com.  For a long time,
spamcop.com was run by someone who just listed lots of anti-spam
links, including a link to spamcop.net.  It is not clear whether
spamcop.com was sold, or whether it just expired, but it is now under
the control of someone who appears to be abusing the name.

I guess having openspf.org not under our control, but having the .com
and .net is better.  Most people won't mistakenly go to the .org
instead of the .com/.net, while people will mistakenly go to the .com.

Anyway, I figured I should let everyone know what I know of the
situation.

-wayne