Re: Council log censored

2005-07-10 16:33:06

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Julian Mehnle wrote:

Mostly true -- the e-mail authentication summit doesn't have anything to
do with MAAWG, though.

That authentication summit is quite a bit an MS event + commercial bulk
email senders & marketeers (some of those are considered spammers by organizations such as SpamHaus).

I can only hope that the Community is not tempted to accept these
MAAWG-delaying games.  An appeal before the IETF meeting in Paris has
serious chances, that's what they want to avoid.

I don't know where you're getting the supposed MAAWG involvement from.
Today I presented the proposal to promote a common SPFv2 standard
provided that MS stops to check PRA against SPFv1 records. Yes, this has been worked out at the MAAWG conference, but our current strategy has nothing to do with MAAWG in particular.

SPFv2 needs to be worked on more then what we currently have after MARID, but I suppose we could accelerate work to get scoping syntax worked out.

We have not forgotten about the appeal deadline.  There are just some
things that need to be found out before we can make any further decisions,
and the e-mail authentication summit poses a good opportunity for that.

Even if some agreement is made, you should understand that such agreement
should be verifiable by the time appeal period expires. What this means
is that MS must prepare updated drafts and submit them no longer then
first day after IETF conference blockout period - don't just believe them on their word, its not good enough as we've seen at MARID.

At the same time if they refuse or start saying about delays, then it would
be good to be ready with appeal right after IETF. In fact if you send an appeal and its about issues that MS promised to fix, then you lost nothing,
i.e. MS fixes the draft and the appeal is resolved on its own.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks