Re: Re: "/" inside an exists: domain-spec?

2005-07-15 11:27:33
In <42D7FD15(_dot_)9090207(_at_)de-korte(_dot_)org> Arjen de Korte
<spf+discuss(_at_)de-korte(_dot_)org> writes:

wayne schreef:

"exists:abc:spf.example.com"
Is this a parse error?  Or a domain with a ":" in it?
Or an unknown mechanism "exists:abc"?
That is a domain with a colon in it.  Mechanisms can not have colons.

That is an illegal domain name. According to RFC 1035, domain names can
not have colons.

No.

It is a perfectly legal domain name.  See RFC1035, section 2.3.3.  If
that isn't clear enough, see RFC2181, section 11.

This is a FAQ, we need to write it up somewhere.

The requirements for a "host name" is different than the requirements
for a "domain name".  Host names can not contain things like colons,
underscores, or slashes, but domain names can.  Host names are a
proper subset of domain names.  All host names are domain names, but
not all domain names are host names.

Trust me on this one.  I don't have time to dig up longer answers
right now, but this would be a good task for someone to write up a FAQ
entry on.

-wayne