Re: Re: Draft IETF appeal

2005-08-22 19:05:11
On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 02:44 +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Mark Shewmaker wrote:

 [limited reuse]
I just wanted to throw out the rough idea in time for it to
< be useful if it could at all help.)

Doesn't work, there are cases where you get an erroneous PASS
for PRA-on-spf1.  The only way is to copy a v=spf1 policy text
as is to spf2.0/pra explicitly by those who want to opt-in, or
something like op=pra.

Uhm, my re-use example had nothing to do with MS's Sender ID directly:
It was an example of an absurdity that, were it in the spf spec, would
surely not be accepted by the ietf.

I was suggesting that if SPF were to misuse MX records, (by saying we
would assume that domain owners who don't publish spf records want us to
reject all mail that isn't sent by their MX machines, and thus also
assuming that domains without MX records don't send mail), that the ietf
would rightly not approve of such an experiment at all--even if the
domain owners who wanted to "opt out" of the experiment could do so by
publishing "v=spf1 ?all" records.

I was wondering if bringing up a thought experiment like that in the
appeal would be helpful or distracting.

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com