Re: [spf-discuss] Anyone Got an Explanation?

2005-09-17 13:06:23
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this is the way SPF is
supposed to be used. The source appears to be [133.240.64.147] which

[ snip sending DSN to known forged return path ]

Yes, this is case of "people unclear on the concept".  However, at
least they were kind enough to send you a sort-of real DSN (mail from
should have been '<>', but you could use a heuristic to convert
postmaster@ to '<>').  You can filter out all those forged bounces and
bounced forgeries by signing your outgoing return path with SRS or
(old style) SES.

Which brings me to my question:

I was tired of getting announcements from virus scanners all over the
world that I had apparently sent them a virus.  The announcements
are not DSNs, so they are not automatically rejected.

However, I have just implemented the following heuristic policy on
a temporary basis on my home server:

  user,domain = parse_addr(self.mailfrom)
  if user.lower() in ('postmaster','mailer-daemon'):
    self.mailfrom = '<>'

As a consequence:

  1) mail from PostMaster, etc, is now rejected unless HELO name passes SPF or
  matches connect ip.

  2) mail from PostMaster, etc, sent to anything other than my return-path
  (mail from) is rejected (because I sign my return-path).

Any comments?  Is this abuse of the RFCs going too far?  It is, of course,
where they send non-DSN notification of their action.