RE: [spf-discuss] Re: Anyone Got an Explanation?

2005-09-19 14:15:25
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Seth Goodman wrote:

Yeah, I knew that.  I was asking about the *converse*.  Is it true that:

  When the MAIL FROM identity is composed of the localpart "postmaster"
  and the HELO identity, then the reverse-path is null.

I don't think so.  MAIL FROM:<> is a DSN, while MAIL
FROM:<postmaster(_at_)example(_dot_)com> is _supposed_ to be a message from a
role
account.  It may be report of network abuse, a problem they have connecting
to your network or an offer to sell you enlargement pills, but it shouldn't
be a DSN (even though it sometimes is).  I see no harm in using "postmaster"
as local-part for null-sender messages in either a SPF check or other local
heuristics.  However, you have to retain the real null-sender return-path
for either delivery or when you ultimately can't complete delivery later and
better not send a bounce.

That's what I thought.  The problem is that *every* *single* message
I've ever received from 'postmaster' on any of the 40 machines I administer
without exception was *supposed* to be a DSN, but sender was clueless/rude.

Someone suggested complaining about abuse to the upstream ISP.  The problem is
that it is hard to convince them that running a commercial "Spam Filter"
and MTA constitutes "abuse" - regardless of how braindead the behaviour.

So my work around is accept mail from postmaster only if it is addressed
to a signed return-path.

I personally never use postmaster for outgoing mail.  I accept mail
to postmaster, then answer it as myself.