Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Anyone Got an Explanation?

2005-09-21 11:48:25
Stuart D. Gathman writes:
     ... once my little experiment cleaned out the bogus mail from
postmaster and mailer-daemon that was really DSNs, then I started
noticing (ought to be) DSN mail from clamav ... there is no end to fiddling
with the heuristics to try and detect all the DSNs.  So I won't bother.

Is clamav a really braindead product?  Or is this a user configuration error?

The Clamav milter offers a runtime option to bounce viruses and worms
back, but a comment in the code notes that this is generally not a
good idea.  The default is not to bounce.

In the milter TODO list is to not bounce if the detected virus type is
one known to fake the from address.  Also in the TODO list is to
bounce outgoing mail but not incoming mail.

Clamav is IMO a really great package.  It is however a package by
people whose expertise is in virus detection, not in mail (or network)
administration.  Of course, being free makes the price unbeatable.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com