RE: [spf-discuss] Re: Anyone Got an Explanation?

2005-09-19 12:45:15
From: Stuart D. Gathman [mailto:stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 12:38 PM

<...>

Yeah, I knew that.  I was asking about the *converse*.  Is it true that:

  When the MAIL FROM identity is composed of the localpart "postmaster"
  and the HELO identity, then the reverse-path is null.

I don't think so.  MAIL FROM:<> is a DSN, while MAIL
FROM:<postmaster(_at_)example(_dot_)com> is _supposed_ to be a message from a
role
account.  It may be report of network abuse, a problem they have connecting
to your network or an offer to sell you enlargement pills, but it shouldn't
be a DSN (even though it sometimes is).  I see no harm in using "postmaster"
as local-part for null-sender messages in either a SPF check or other local
heuristics.  However, you have to retain the real null-sender return-path
for either delivery or when you ultimately can't complete delivery later and
better not send a bounce.

AFAIK, the only address equivalency that is forced on mail recipients has
nothing to do with MAIL FROM and is as follows:

HELO outbound.domain.invalid
250 inbound.example.com
MAIL FROM:<bozo(_at_)domain(_dot_)invalid>
250 OK
RCPT TO:<postmaster>

MUST be interpreted as

RCPT TO:<postmaster(_at_)example(_dot_)com>

--

Seth Goodman