[spf-discuss] Volume of mail from domains with SPF records

2005-09-20 01:34:00
Given the high proportion of domains amongst the top e-mail users a more representative picture of SPF usage might be the percentage of total e-mails which originate from a domain with a SPF record.

At the moment we count the number of domains with SPF records, which is about 1 million in a total of 64.5 million domains http://www.verisign.com/verisign-inc/news-and-events/news-archive/us-news-2004/page_015910.html in Sept 2004 but will be significantly more when all the sub-domains are counted as well - probably more than doubling that figure. This would make the percentage of domains with SPF records anything from 0.5% to 1.5%.

Using the volume of e-mail calculation instead would be an interesting comparison. Out of the approximately 10 billion messages/day
http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?s=7cca1ebc5d1971fa3585b48909e02036&showtopic=4556&pid=31465&st=0&#entry31465
How many are from domains with SPF records and how do we go about gathering
such information?

We also could do with statistics on how many SPF checking MTA's there are, and what is the percentage volume of all mail which is being checked using SPF records.

Slainte,
JohnP