RE: [spf-discuss] SPF Service Provider

2005-10-21 05:09:32
I want to publish SPF record for my domain in order to ensure I am not
blocked by servers who do SPF check before accpting emails.

However, I want that my servers would not do any SPF check before
accepting any emails. I hope this is possible as the above two things
are totally differently managed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

-----Original Message-----
From: Herb Martin [mailto:HerbM(_at_)learnquick(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 5:17 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] SPF Service Provider

Sandipan Chowdhury [mailto:sandipan(_dot_)chowdhury(_at_)vcustomer(_dot_)com]

I am planning to impliment SPF in my network. But before that I want
to know how popular is SPF.

Growing more popular and since implementing it is nearly trivial you
will add another voice to it.

How many cos have adopted
SPF so far in US. I fear that after implimenting SPF my server might
end up refusing emails from many of my clients if they havn't publishe

SPF record.

You are going to get a lot of help on this but commit the following to
MEMORY (and never let anyone who misunderstands SPF talk you out of it):

  SPF blocks NOTHING

  EMail servers or filters MAY be used to block on
        certain SPF results -- e.g., SPF FAIL

  Admins must choose to do such blocking

  SPF gives the admin a way of identifying LEGITIMATE
        Email servers for the domain/company

  Receiving Admins MAY use that info to identify
        forged email and take some action (e.g., block)

Now, others may block email purporting to be FROM your domain but
originating from unauthorized servers; that is precisely what you want
them to do if you setup your SPF correctly.

If they do, you will not receive back scatter from them when they
receive forged email naming your domain as the source.

Also, it would be very helpful if anyone can tell me the best DNS
service provider for this purpose.

Last I checked, register.com cannot do SPF (text) records; GoDaddy
supports SPF through text records and is cheaper.

--
Herb Martin

-------
Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/ Archives at