[spf-discuss] Re: Historical SPF-related specifications

2006-01-12 18:00:01
Julian Mehnle wrote:

I just set up <http://new.openspf.org/Specifications> the
other day.

Nice.

The "History" section could be expanded.

Yes.  Some stuff should be available with the I-D prototype
developed by the IETF tools team, or in other words Hendrik:

2004
02    http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mengwong-spf-00
05    http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mengwong-spf-01
09-14 http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-marid-mailfrom-00
09-15 http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-marid-protocol-03
10-12 http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-lentczner-spf-00
12-30 http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-00

2005
05-20 http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01

That's the rough main line (Wayne, shut up, I know this... ;-)
Some SPF 2.0 / unified stuff unrelated to the "making of v=spf1":

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-leibzon-responsible-submitter-00
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schlitt-marid-spf-from-hdr-00

Etc., it's probably pointless to list all SPF 2.0 stuff here,
but the two mentioned are fairly obscure, easy to miss them.

Perhaps sort of a genealogical tree for the various
SPF-related specification drafts?

No, just some sections with the links and a short abstract for
each set of related drafts (e.g. schlitt 00 ... 03 as one set
in the section "classic SPF main line").

One section "PRA" of course, incl. the remaining MARID stuff,
no problem if protocol-03 appears again there.

Some more or less closely related historical sources:

Phil's reputation / accreditation, I've an "unofficial" ASCII
version (his draft submission never made it, non-ASCII char.s).
He published it on an ASRG list as attachment, so we could
switch links if he doesn't like "my" copyedited version.

The original ASRG LMAP draft is important, I've a copy, URLs:

http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-irtf-asrg-lmap-discussion-01.txt
http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-mengwong-sender-rewrite-01.txt
http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-hallambaker-accreditation-00.TXT

Of course all expired, the abstract should say so.

That's copyrighted material that doesn't automatically come
with a CC-BY-SA license.

Don't take that lightly.  The copyright issue is a real
problem.

That's why I mentioned it.  I could find links to the first RMX
draft, that's very relevant (with a reference in the SPF spec.)

If we start an "LMAP" section we could also add MTAMARK / CSV,
or better an ASRG section, adding also SIQ, also relevant and
related from my POV.  OTOH DKIM is really unrelated and should
not be on that page.

William's famous "SPF history 2003" article should get a link.

For the "SPF section 6-3 pet cemetery" you know where to find
it, that could start an "SPF work in progress" section.
,
All in all you might have less trouble if you somehow add a
"create account" button for the Wiki (like the registration
for Community votes), my "sandbox approach" didn't work.  Bye