Re: [spf-discuss] Website edit access

2006-01-13 01:18:26
wayne wrote:

In <200601130119(_dot_)43415(_dot_)julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> Julian Mehnle
<julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

...I seriously doubt we should grant global edit access on the website to any spf-discuss subscriber. There needs to be _some_ quality assurance. Everyone is very welcome to submit material for review and inclusion by the webmasters team, though!

I strongly disagree.  I think wikis have shown that the vast majority
of people are very reasonable and do a good job of editing stuff, if
they can.  I think there are enough people around who will monitor the
SPF wiki that vandalism won't be a big problem.  I think the lack of
progress on the new website is *FAR* more of a problem than any
"quality assurance" problems we might have.
Although I agree with Wayne's observation at least for a large part, I think when using a wiki as a sort-of CMS as we are doing now precludes giving just anyone edit access.

I have seen vandalizing and spamming to be big problems on open wiki's, even on low-traffic ones. We all remember the wikipedia 'crisis' of late, but i have been working with wiki's a lot and know it is true for less famous wiki's too. Also, when we open it up i fear it might become a maze to navigate through, as i also have seen happening too often, such sites are not very informative in general.

If we do open it up, we need one person dedicated to guarding 'structure' to prevent this maze to emerge, and i think we're hard pushed to find a person to take on this responsibility and be able to keep doing it also after 6 months.

I am all for openess and democracy, but when it is something as important as the public face of the spf project, i'd say keep it to the council and/or appointed people to edit that public face.

Gr,

Koen