Re: Sender ID (was Re: [spf-discuss] nobody @ xyzzy)

2006-02-22 17:26:06
On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 18:54 -0500, John Kelly wrote:

I looked at the message headers, but I don't understand how the
failure abused his SPF record.  I wear so many hats, I don't have time
to analyze and understand it in detail, right now.

But if you want to further explain it, you have my attention.

It's very simple really.

The supposed-PRA domain (xyzzy.claranet.de) in the message you quoted
did not publish any records meant to be used in PRA scope.

So you have no instructions from that domain owner to go on for PRA
testing, as the supposed-PRA domain owner's instructions were only
related to the MAIL FROM domain.

SenderID says to pretend those MAIL FROM instructions are valid for PRA
scope too, but saying it doesn't make it so and will lead to incorrect
results, as you've seen.

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com