Re: [spf-discuss] Promoting NEUTRAL or SOFTFAIL result to FAIL

2006-02-25 18:59:55
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Hector Santos wrote:

I have been exploring this rule in our SPF implementation with great
success:

  result = SPF(MFROM.DOMAIN)
  if result in [NEUTRAL, SOFTFAIL] then
     if HELO.DOMAIN = MFROM.DOMAIN and
        result = FAIL

In other words, if the MACHINE and the SENDER is the same domain, then there
is no reason for a NEUTRAL or SOFTFAIL in the SPF(MFROM.DOMAIN) result.

Any comments about this?

I reject all connections with an SPF record for the HELO name that does
not get a pass.  I think this is equivalent to what you are doing -
but happens sooner.  I agree that there is absolutely no reason why
the HELO name should not get a pass when there is an SPF record for it.
There are no roaming laptop users that should be using it, etc, etc.

If you combine this with requiring a pass even for "guessed" spf record
"v=spf1 a mx", you essentially require 2821 compliant HELO names with
just a bit of laxness.  (But enforcing this last rejects too
many braindead but otherwise legitimate MTAs.)