RE: [spf-discuss] Immediate reject of invalid RCPT

2006-02-28 13:28:21
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Seth Goodman wrote:

I remember that you had a case where one of your customers corresponded
to a brain-dead MTA that did CBV's on your mail using a RFC822 address
instead of MAIL FROM.  For some reason, rejecting after DATA caused
their CBV to pass, while rejecting after RCPT TO caused it to fail.
Well, it's already broken.  Couldn't you just whitelist that bad boy and
assume other MTA's are run by sentient beings?

The problem is building 15 gazillion whitelists for various creative
forms of braindamage.  I had a similar problem doing EDI with the
airlines.  Each airline had weird bugs/extensions in their EDI software.
So, for instance, Lufthansa required you to send dimensional weight
on an FAWB or they would reject it.  But they only accepted an
earlier syntax level that did not support dimensional weight - a
classic catch 22 (you had to use a proprietary format for dimensional
weight that was not recognized by any other airline).  So that, and 20
other bugs for other airlines, each got their own flag in an AIRLINE.QUIRKS
table.

So I need to organize all these MTA quirks in a general table, by both
MFROM domain and HELO domain (and perhaps IP).  This information would
be useful for other mail filter projects, so some way to make it
generally useful is a plus.  Is such a table already available?

I would likely use sendmail access file format.