RE: [spf-discuss] draft-schlitt-spf-classic AUTH48 review

2006-03-27 11:48:30

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Nick Nicholas wrote:

On Monday, March 27, 2006 at 9:27 AM Matthew.van.Eerde wrote:

Kurt Andersen wrote:

How about a more active statement:

When a mechanism is evaluated, one of three things happens:
it matches; it fails to match; or it throws an exception.

Works for me.

I was going to make that very suggestion.

And I'm of the same mind with someone else who was troubled with the
"throws an exception" phrase.  What about something along the lines of
"produces an error" instead?  The "throws an exception" language is too
close to jargon for my tastes.

I put in as alternative-2 the following text for 4.6.2:

"4.6.2.  Mechanisms

   Each mechanism is considered in turn from left to right.  If there
   are no more mechanisms, the result is specified in Section 4.7.

   When a mechanism is evaluated, one of three things can happen: it can
   match, it can not match, or it can cause an error."

If you think phrasing this as "or it can produce an error" is better,
we can do it as well, but I think produce does not work as well when
mechanism is a subject on the line. Please comment.

The change will be decided on upcoming SPF Council meeting, personally
I'm in favor of such a change as well but I don't think its absolutely
necessary unlike few other issues.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks