Re: [spf-discuss] Microsoft plagiarism

2006-06-24 05:53:07
In <200606240951(_dot_)35046(_dot_)julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> Julian Mehnle
<julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

Wayne Schlitt wrote:
See the second session, page 3 in the PDF, bottom right slide:

http://www.emailauthentication.org/summit2006/pdfs/2_Summit_Scorecard_final.pdf

Slide 4 on page 1:

| * You need:
|   * Good mechanics
|     (ie: authors of DKIM and SIDF)

Who are the authors of "SIDF"?  WTF??

*sigh*

No where on that slide does it say *who* the authors are.

If I recall correctly from the presentation, they *thanked* the
authors of these drafts for creating the required good mechanics.

Microsoft, you gnomes, this is plagiarism!

It is?

Patrick Peterson doesn't even *work* for Microsoft, he works for
ironport.  Why are you assuming MS has anything to do with this tiny
snippet?

Yes, I know Meng is officially a co-author of Sender ID.  But saying
"authors of SIDF" disregards all the contributions of the SPF community!
Compare RFC 4406, section 8, to RFC 4408, section 11.  The _least_ they
would have to do is say "authors of SIDF and SPF".

MS considers SPF to be part of the larger Sender ID Framework.  Meng
doesn't seem to have any objections to this characterization.  SPF was
renamed from "Sender Permitted From" to "Sender Policy Framework" in
part to encompass more widespread use of the SPF system for things
other than checking just the 2821.MAILFROM.

Julian: Before making such inflammatory charges, especially in public,
please do a little more investigation.  I'm more disappointed in what
you have done here than what MS did at that conference.

-wayne