Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Microsoft plagiarism

2006-06-24 10:43:35
In <200606241555(_dot_)29096(_dot_)julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> Julian Mehnle
<julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

Wayne Schlitt wrote:
Julian Mehnle <julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:
[
http://www.emailauthentication.org/summit2006/pdfs/2_Summit_Scorecard_final.pdf
 ]

Slide 4 on page 1:
| * You need:
|   * Good mechanics
|     (ie: authors of DKIM and SIDF)

Who are the authors of "SIDF"?  WTF??

*sigh*

No where on that slide does it say *who* the authors are.

That doesn't matter because SIDF is practically non-existent.  There's SPF
and there's Sender ID.  Even if you consider "Sender ID Framework" to be
equivalent to "Sender ID", that then means "authors of Sender ID", which
ignores the "authors of SPF", with SPF clearly making up >75% of Sender
ID.

I'm sorry Julian, but I think you are over reacting and over reaching
here.  This is a bullet point on a slide.  Microsoft is not claiming
to have authored SIDF.  The point of that presentation is that you
need both good mechanics *and* people willing to use those systems.

Really, SPF is heavily based on DMP and RMX and both of those were
likely re-inventions of and/or based on earlier work.  When we go
around and say "SPF" we don't say "SPF, which is a derivative work of
DMP, RMX and many other systems, yada yada yada".

It's like saying Kerberos was invented by Microsoft.

No, it is not.

Microsoft, you gnomes, this is plagiarism!

It is?

Patrick Peterson doesn't even *work* for Microsoft, he works for
ironport.  Why are you assuming MS has anything to do with this tiny
snippet?

I admit I did not research who created these slides -- mea culpa for that.
But it is pretty evident that they were strongly influenced by Microsoft's
"SIDF" propaganda, otherwise this misappropriation couldn't have happened.
(Nowhere in their PR is MS making a point of SID NOT being original
works.)

ya know, I just checked the MS senderid website, and most of the
places MS just says they are "championing Sender ID" or similar
things.  I can't find any place that they make any claim they, alone,
invented it.  They *can* take credit for the PRA, and thus take
partial credit for SIDF.

In that same conference, both the PRA and 2821.MAILFROM checks were
promoted.

Julian: Before making such inflammatory charges, especially in public,
please do a little more investigation.  I'm more disappointed in what
you have done here than what MS did at that conference.

Despite not having researched the origin of said presentation, I did not
make my accusation lightly and I am still standing behind it.

  "Not making a point of SID being derivative works"

and

  "not making a point of SID being derivative works _despite_ observing
  people misappropriating it to MS"

are two different things.  [...]

Yeah, except you didn't say either of things.

You accused Microsoft of plagiarism and called the gnomes.

That is out of line.

-wayne