Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Contact page requests going to SPF-discuss

2006-06-25 02:58:18
Julian Mehnle wrote:
Koen Martens wrote:
wayne wrote:
I am also concerned that the "Confidential" option *just* adds the
following note before sending it off:

  | Confidential! Please do not discuss this issue publicly without
  | anonymizing sensitive information!

Depending on the Topic, it may be sent to either spf-council (which
will require a moderator to deal with), spf-webmaster (which may be
posted automatically, I'm not sure), or the SPF RT system (which I
think is also automatically handed off to all people how have
volunteered to handle support requests.
Note that the volunteer team does have a code of conduct up on
new.openspf.org (http://new.openspf.org/Support_Guidelines) which
states that tickets are to be treated confidential.

Even if the submitter explicitly selects that "the issue [ may ] be
discussed publicly by project staff"?

Well, the exact text is "Assume the information people enter in the
contact form or communicate to you in the life of the ticket is
confidential. Do not disclose this information unless you have
permission to do so.". Selecting "the issue [ may ] be
discussed publicly by project staff" constitutes giving permission
 to disclose the information i'd say.

Also, 'spf-discuss' is something else than 'project staff'. For all
practical purposes, 'spf-discuss' equals 'the world' and 'project
staff' does not..

I agree with Scott in his follow-up in this thread, that we need to
be explicit about sending submissions off to spf-discuss.

I don't think this is the main point of the contact form.  Rather I think
the contact form is for people who don't want, or don't know how, to
subscribe to one of the mailing lists.  Of course this may include people
who wish their message to be treated confidentially, but those are not the
only ones who use the contact form.

True, but still I think that the contact form suggests it is only a
small group of people that get to read it, not 'the world'.

Sometimes submitters explicitly select that "the issue may be discussed
publicly", and if the issue is of general interest, e.g. when it's a
website suggestion or a general comment about SPF, I resend/forward it to
the appropriate list.  Is that really inappropriate?

I think part of the inappropriateness is that if you reply to such
an issue, you reply to the list and not to the original submitter.
So the submitter has no added benefit of the repost on the list,
unless someone decides to forward the discussion that follows to
that person. In which case the submitter could as well subscribe to
spf-discuss himself.

Gr,

Koen