Re: [spf-discuss] Re: DKIM-SSP integration SPF

2006-08-14 04:02:13
Julian,

I don't disagree with your point, but I was thinking why its not possible to
take what we have today with SPF today and what's coming tomorrow with DKIM
to help develop some SPF/DKIM integration guidelines?

How can DKIM help make SPF stronger, today?

Example:

What are the possible results for SPF?

    NONE
    NEUTRAL
    PASS
    FAIL
    SOFTFAIL
    TEMPERROR
    PERMERROR

And the DKIM BASE possible results?

    1PPASS     -   1st Part valid signature
    1PFAIL        -   1st party invalid signature
    3PPASS     -   3rd Part valid signature
    3PFAIL        -   3rd party invalid signature

When you combine the two what are the possible states and interpretation?

Well, in theory you have 6 x 4 or 24 possible states.  When you complete
this 6x4 table grid, there will be a very strong results included with
indeterminate.

Some example of the pretty strong trusted results:

    SPF-PASS  +  DKIM-1PPASS  = PASS
    SPF-FAIL     +  DKIM-1PFAIL     = FAIL

What about the others 22?

How can we make the SPF-NEUTRAL a pass or a fail?

    SPF-NEUTRAL + DKIM-1PPASS = PASS?
    SPF-NEUTRAL + DKIM-1PFAIL    = FAIL?
    SPF-NEUTRAL + DKIM-3PPASS = PASS MAYBE??
    SPF-NEUTRAL + DKIM-3PFAIL    = FAIL  MAYBE??

Or a SOFTFAIL a real FAIL?

    SPF-SOFTFAIL + DKIM-1PFAIL = FAIL?
    SPF-SOFTFAIL + DKIM-3PFAIL = FAIL? MAYBE?

etc, etc.

This is something that should be talked about.

If someone wants to create the 6 x 4 table grid of SPF vs. DKIM results to
kick start these considerations, please do. :-)   Put in your initial
thoughts on what the results for each cell should be and then we can debate
and fine tune it.

If we to simplify it, we can just consider PASS/FAIL DKIM results and not
get into complex 1st party vs. 3rd party issues for now.  But IMHO, they do
matter in the "trusted" weights of the results.

Comments?

http://www.santronics.com