Re: [spf-discuss] Re: [Fwd: Re: DNSOP Agenda for San Diego (IETF 67)]

2006-10-31 09:23:50
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:57:55AM -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

Limiting SPF traffic to UDP queries also caps the total bytes.

TXT "v=spf1 -all"
TXT "other protocol", total some 200 bytes (reasonable)
TXT "yet other protocol", total some 200 bytes (reasonable)
TXT "still other protocol", total some 200 bytes (reasonable)

together: > 611 bytes, which is more than 512, thus uses TCP.

And thus would result in 'None' for pyspf (unless a type99 was available)
- it would simply refuse to use TCP.

Let's face it.  Waiting for the type99 record was good, but also
allowing txt records (and worse: promoting to use TXT records)
may have been a mistake.

I publish and check type99 records - and encourage others to do the same.

RFC lawyer question: 4408 says I SHOULD limit the size of DNS queries.
Fine - I do that.  But what should the result be when the size is exceeded?
None?  TempError?