[spf-discuss] Re: [Fwd: Re: DNSOP Agenda for San Diego (IETF 67)]

2006-10-31 21:49:47
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

RFC lawyer question: 4408 says I SHOULD limit the size of DNS queries.
Fine - I do that.  But what should the result be when the size is
exceeded?  None?  TempError?

When Wayne mentioned "always allowed" yesterday I checked what he's
talking about and found this SHOULD (= "recommends").  From the context
I think it should be TempError, same idea as for the 20 seconds limit.

Kind of odd because it won't go away by trying again later without
manual intervention.  If we want a PermError for "excessive amounts
of data" (unspecified) we should note it as erratum.

In another article you mentioned 76.  IIRC that was the RR case before
they simplified their policy.  It was not within the 10/10/10 limits.

To damp Doug's attack without counting bytes (shudder) maybe a total
limit of about 40 queries (10 mechanisms + 30 names) would do, or is
that too liberal / too conservative ?

Frank