Re: [spf-discuss] "Packaging" SPF

2007-01-10 10:57:01
Scott Kitterman wrote:
I think that most of us would agree that making it easier to set up SPF
checking is an important goal for the project.  To that end, I think we need
to see what we can do to package RFC 4408 compliant versions of SPF related
programs for all major Unix like operating systems (and Windows where
relevant).

I agree - I had planned to bring this up on the list at some stage. I am
increasingly receiving backscatter/fake bounces from domains that are
protected by SPF records in their DNS.

I think the implementation of SPF records has now built up enough
momentum to keep itself going. (Helped along by some not so subtle hints
 by the likes of SpamCop and DNSreport.com - amongst others)

However the implementation of SPF checking - which is a rather more
technical subject - has not been pushed as hard and it is now starting
to show.

So, what distributions do you use and what can you do (we can help) get them
up to speed.

Not really a distro - but rather the web admin system of cPanel/WHM
(www.cpanel.net) They package and compile everything to work with their
system and deliver it with their proprietary updater. The spf modules
have not been included into Exim package which they supply.

Not much we do from a development point of view as it is a closed source
project. But I think it is important to put pressure on them to at least
include SPF checking as an 'option'.

Just my 2c

regards
Graham Beneke