Re: [spf-discuss] Implicit MX (was: Another test case for the test suite...)

2007-01-14 17:31:58
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 06:19:03PM -0600, Seth Goodman wrote:
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote on Sunday, January 14, 2007 1:47 PM -0600:

Erm, no, what I mean with "implicit 'a'" is the following:

"v=spf1 a ?all"

A host with an IP address that resolves to "mailhost.example.com" is
implicitly allowed to say "HELO mailhost.example.com".  A host with
a different IP address is NOT forbidden to use the name by default
(in other words: ?all, not -all).

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that implicit "a"
means to imply "+a" for every SPF record.  If so, it would then be
hard to say that a domain sends no mail since the implied "+a" in

Just like with the implicit MX, there is often no host that has the
identical name as the domain _and_ is authorized to send mail.