Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Better approach to the forwarder problem

2007-01-15 02:14:09
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:37:17PM -0500, Dick St.Peters wrote:

<snip>

mail system type to another but isn't necessary for internet mail, and
its use for internet mail is discouraged.  In keeping with this, hosts
forwarding mail told destinations to send any error responses directly
to the source.  They did this by NOT prepending themselves to the
reverse path.

The problem I face is local users who set up forwarding to <BIGISPS>.
<BIGISP> had different spam-recognition procedures than I do, and
recognizes the incoming mail as spam, and refuses it (5xx). There is
no error message sent. I now have an undeliverable message, which I
cannot return to sender (since the sender is bogus), and it rattles
around in my queue until it times out. I see no way for individual
users to get <BIGISP> to whitelist their individual forwarders,
i.e. will AOL whitelist me for mail sent to joeschmo(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
which I forward to josephjschmoe(_at_)aol(_dot_)com, but not whitelist me for
other combos?

--
-=[L]=-
PS: I hope I got the attribution correctly above.