RE: [spf-discuss] Re: Better approach to the forwarder problem

2007-01-12 14:54:33
Don Lee wrote on Friday, January 12, 2007 3:00 PM -0600:

Counter-question: why is alias-style forwarding, i.e. the ability
to set MAIL FROM to whatever you like, so important to preserve?
What does it give you that you cannot also achieve in a different
way?

Ironically, the reason I cling to this is because I want
control of what e-mail address(es) I expose.  aka. I don't want to
let the spammers get my *real* address, so I use several, for
different purposes.  Note the MAIL FROM on this post..... :-(

It's extremely ironic, because spammers take advantage of the same
forgery method that you use.  You are banking on the fact that as
an informed email user, you will do better than average with this
ploy.  On the whole, permitting trivial forgery increases the spam
load that we all pay for as recipients.

BTW, being able to use a variety of return-paths does not require
forgery.  It does require submitting the mail to a mailserver for
the domain that you claim in the return-path.  More and more
providers now support SMTP AUTH, which allows you to submit mail
even if your ISP blocks outgoing connections to port 25.

--
Seth Goodman