Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Erratum <explanation>

2007-01-16 14:47:24
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:31:36PM +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:

Come on, guys!  What's going on here?  Is this an April's Fools joke or
what?

Not yet, but we are preparing for it.  Don't tell them I let you know!

Seriously, if people consider it worth discussing, why do you have to
talk them down?

I think it is a good idea to look at the less used features of the
protocol.  If someone is indeed ignoring / exp=[^ ]*/ then that
implementation will indeed return 'neutral'.

This may not be intended behaviour, but it probably will be something
we will see in the wild.

A validator could pay some extra attention to such unfortunate small
mistakes:  "Did you perhaps mean ... <space> -all" ?

Is "exp=example.com-all" missing a final ".com", or is is missing a
space ?

Is the domain invalid because *right*now* it does not resolve?  We do
not require a separator between the top-level domain and the root-level
domain, else it would be a piece of cake figuring out which error was made.

It isn't always as clear as it may seem to you.

Alex