Re: [spf-discuss] SPF -all domain survey

2007-12-10 10:13:32
On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 04:25:15PM +0000, Ian Eiloart wrote:

This is too optimistic (unfortunately).

SPF will only work if both ends of the email transaction are using it,
meaning if a receiver does not use SPF, it will just accept the email.

Well, yes, but I suspect that the whole purpose of the site is to help
managers of sites receiving email to determine whether it's worth using SPF
to either filter or score email. There's probably a general feeling in the
postmaster community that too few sites do so to make it worthwhile.

I understand, but do you understand it may be counterproductive to
raise expectations too high for those publishing SPF policies?

If one promises SPF will stop forgery now, people will be disappointed.

The site should also point out that publishing an SPF record does not
stop all misdirected bounces from coming in.

I've seen a lot of tickets (no, I didn't count them) from people who
are wondering why they still see such bounces, eventhough they published
a policy ending in -all.  I can see how they feel mislead by well meaning
but nevertheless wrong statements about SPF.

cheers
alex