Re: [spf-discuss] SPF -all domain survey

2007-12-10 12:01:31
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Greg Hewgill wrote:

Thanks for the feedback so far on spf-all.com.

I should have mentioned that there are a few cases not yet handled that
I will be considering:

- use of redirect= to make one domain the same as another
- ending a record with include: to include another record that ends in
  -all

There may be other unusual cases that I should consider. This mailing
list is probably a good source of test cases!

Of course, "-all" is only a heuristic test.  An accurate but less-trivial
way to rate SPF records is by number of IPs in the pass/neutral/softfail/fail
sets.  A "v=spf1 +all" would have 2^32,0,0,0.  A "v=spf1 -all" 0,0,0,2^32.
But "v=spf1 ip4:1.2.3.4/0 -all" would have 2^32,0,0,0 also - despite the
"-all".  Giant email providers might have thousands of authorized IPs -
despite having strict SPF records - but they have more problems policing
their millions of users, so that's fair.