Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-11 06:51:51
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, David MacQuigg wrote:
I believe it is possible to reject as soon as you see the DKIM-Signature
header, but the problem will be the same as SPF - too many legitimate
messages still have crap authentication.  Yet another chicken-and-egg
situation.

In this message:

[ results showing Michael's mail, as relayed by list, to fail DK ]

Envelope-DKIM would not fail in this way.  Like SPF, it would not care
that the "From:" was forged.  Only the signing policy of the MAIL FROM:
domain (which for this list is "@jeeves.archives.listbox.com") would be
enforced.

I have a hard-fail DK record, since my commonsense understanding was that
people who subscribe to mailing lists must whitelist them before arming DK to
reject messages with broken signatures, even for "o=-" domains.

However, recently on the DKIM list it was claimed that the analogous
"dkim=all" ADSP does permit validators to act without considering the mailing
list problem....

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>