Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-11 21:42:58
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 03:50:43 -0700 (PDT) Michael Deutschmann
<michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net> wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, David MacQuigg wrote:
I believe it is possible to reject as soon as you see the DKIM-Signature
header, but the problem will be the same as SPF - too many legitimate
messages still have crap authentication.  Yet another chicken-and-egg
situation.

In this message:

[ results showing Michael's mail, as relayed by list, to fail DK ]

Envelope-DKIM would not fail in this way.  Like SPF, it would not care
that the "From:" was forged.  Only the signing policy of the MAIL FROM:
domain (which for this list is "@jeeves.archives.listbox.com") would be
enforced.

Since mailing lists use their own envelope from, I guess I'm missing
something here.  What would your envolope DKIM be signing and who would
sign it?

I have a hard-fail DK record, since my commonsense understanding was that
people who subscribe to mailing lists must whitelist them before arming DK
reject messages with broken signatures, even for "o=-" domains.

However, recently on the DKIM list it was claimed that the analogous
"dkim=all" ADSP does permit validators to act without considering the mailing
list problem....

RFC's can't mandate receiver behavior.  Your interpretation of the ADSP RFC is
sound.  What you
got on the DKIM list was speculation of what receivers might do, not what the
RFC says.

Scott K