Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-12 09:26:00
Michael Deutschmann wrote:
By envelope signature I don't mean a signature that *protects* the MAIL FROM:/Return-Path: from modifications -- that is indeed impossible in RFC 4871. I mean one whose *relevance depends* on the fact that domain specified in the signature "d=" option coincides with the right-hand-side of the MAIL FROM: address.

Relayers are free to change the MAIL FROM:, and far from blocking them from changing it, if they do change it this frees them to drop the signature without consequence.

That's very easy to forge, though. As long as spammers sign correctly, they can relay mail apparently coming from one(_at_)high-reputation(_dot_)domain without any chance for that domain to mark --across multiple relays-- the messages that have been sent from authenticated users. In the good cases, final recipients trust the list even more than the original "high-reputation.domain", and so it's ok to remove broken original signatures. However, that classifies the protocol as specific for mailing lists with a good reputation: not the generic forwarding-resistant solution that DKIM claims to be.