Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-12 08:07:36
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 04:01:27 -0700 (PDT) Michael Deutschmann
<michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net> wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Scott Kitterman wrote:
Since mailing lists use their own envelope from, I guess I'm missing
something here.  What would your envolope DKIM be signing and who would
sign it?

Ok, assume someone using envelope DKIM (which is *not* the same as
DKIM/ADSP) posts to the list.  It arrives at the mailing-list server with
an
intact envelope signature.

How does this happen?  Mail from is a property of the SMTP dialogue that is
only added to the message as return path by the receiver, so I don't
understand what there would be for the sender to sign?

Now, if the mailing-list is not aware of Envelope-DKIM, it changes the MAIL
FROM: and also mucks around a bit with the body.

When an ultimate recipient receives the message, he will look for an
Envelope-DKIM policy of the *mailing list's domain* (since that's what's in
MAIL FROM:), and find none.  That means that no signatures are required, so
it will accept the mail.  The broken signature is irrelevant, as to
Envelope-DKIM it is now 3rd-party.  (Notwithstanding that it is 1st-party
DKIM/ADSP.)

If the mailing list is aware of Envelope-DKIM, it will take ownership of
the
message, purging the old Envelope-DKIM signature.  It will then put a new
signature in, using its own domain and private key.

This is precisely analogous to the way SPF avoids mailing list FPs. Mailing
lists "friendly forge" the identity DKIM/ADSP cares about, but not the one
SPF and Envelope-DKIM track.

The advatange of Envelope-DKIM is that it would also have DKIM/ADSP's
resistance to forwarder FPs.  The absence of both kinds of FP would allow
the
protocol to be spread faster than either SPF or DKIM/ADSP.

The problem with this scenario is that ADSP is tied to the body From domain
and so even if such a signature could be produced, it would fail an ADSP
check.

Scott K