xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XQuery basics

2008-06-04 09:13:01
2008/6/4 David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:
Is XQuery like XSLT

Yes the processing model and underlying data structures are essentialy
identical, xquery is essentially like xslt 1 literal result element as
stylesheet (so no xsl:apply-templates, or xsl:for-each-group or
xsl:analyze-string) but with the addition of xsl:function and xpath2.

He asked:

"Is XQuery like XSLT such that I have to build a little script that
will copy everything from the source to the destination and make the
change or add the attribute once I get to it?"

In that sense the two are different aren't they...? XSLT's recursive
descent processing model makes it ideal for the task, while in XQuery
you would pretty much require XQuery Update to do the same task.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com