xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XQuery basics

2008-06-04 13:19:31

The goal is for XSLT to be the server side language in an
end-to-end XML architecure.  XSLT is the layer that generates
the markup (the PHP layer in wamp) and XQuery would be the
MySQL layer.

"All" that's needed is a specification for the main template
and a way of passing in parameters - say "main" for the
initial template and the query string for the params... and
perhaps a suitable acronym like WAXX to promote it (windows,
apache, xquery, xslt  (or eXist, saXon for those last two))

You can already code full sites using eXist, but personally I
would prefer to use XSLT to generate the markup and leave
data access to xquery.

I would recommend capturing the user input using XForms, and then using XSLT
to take the XForms instance as input and generate (or parameterize) the
XQuery as output. Then you can string the whole lot together using something
like Orbeon, which provides both an XForms processor and an XProc-like
pipeline processing language.

You can also, of course, do another XSLT transformation to process the
XQuery results into the XHTML (perhaps with embedded XForms for the next
interaction) that you want to display back to the user.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/