xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XQuery basics

2008-06-04 13:03:45
2008/6/4 Robert Koberg <rob(_at_)koberg(_dot_)com>:
On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 13:13 -0400, Wendell Piez wrote:
At 12:59 PM 6/4/2008, Andrew wrote:
I reckon a future architecture is going to be standalone transforms
calling XQuery to get input - if a standard name for the initial
template can be settled on (for example "main") then you could point
your browser at whatever.xslt and the transform can be executed server
side fetching input from a variety of sources and constructing the
page, both languages working to their strengths.

I don't understand. What would be the benefit of pointing to an XSL with
nothing telling it what to do? I mean, how would XSL even know what the
request was for without something driving it? And if you have something
driving it, you have what we have now. What am I missing?

The goal is for XSLT to be the server side language in an end-to-end
XML architecure.  XSLT is the layer that generates the markup (the PHP
layer in wamp) and XQuery would be the MySQL layer.

"All" that's needed is a specification for the main template and a way
of passing in parameters - say "main" for the initial template and the
query string for the params... and perhaps a suitable acronym like
WAXX to promote it (windows, apache, xquery, xslt  (or eXist, saXon
for those last two))

You can already code full sites using eXist, but personally I would
prefer to use XSLT to generate the markup and leave data access to
xquery.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com