xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XQuery basics

2008-06-04 16:15:33
On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 23:39 +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:
I would recommend capturing the user input using XForms, and then using XSLT
to take the XForms instance as input and generate (or parameterize) the
XQuery as output. Then you can string the whole lot together using something
like Orbeon, which provides both an XForms processor and an XProc-like
pipeline processing language.

xforms are on the todo list, so I can't appreciate what you are
suggesting there but it does sound a bit heavy.

I'd just like to navigate to an xslt file, have the main template fire
and view the result.  If I add debug=true to the query string I'd like
the value "true" passed as the parameter "debug"... nice and simple.

I think I get what you are talking about: An XSL is like a JSP or PHP
page. But, as I am sure you know, you cannot include/import components
the same way you can in something like JSP. The components are not
reused! Your in-memory XSLs can start to take up a good deal of space if
you have quite a few (which sounds like what you want).

Also, are you going to (eventually) want to duplicate the functions that
the eXist team put together for XQuery in eXist on the web? E.g. in
addition to request parameters, are you going to want request/session
attributes (set and get)? Maybe send an email? :)

best,
-Rob